Time for another #Fun Friday as we take you to all things Bollywood.
Last week we roared through decades of fashion but this week it’s time to travel. If you’re planning a get-together in the coming months or you’re looking for unique Halloween-themed party ideas, WomanScape’s week of Bollywood might just be the answer.
How About Hosting Your Own Bollywood Movie-Theme Party?
Movies, music, dance, masti, and putting on the razzamatazz will help you create a fabulous Bollywood night.
Set the scene by decorating your room and tables with gorgeous pinks, oranges and reds. Bright colors set the mood as does a Bollywood playlist that will keep your feet tapping.
There are loads of free playlists to access on Soundcloud like the one we’ve added to WomanScape’s music. Spotify and iTunes are other options.
Our WS Soundcloud Bollywood playlist:
So put on the music to get the party going and here’s a welcoming Bollywood themed Martini to help you and your guests break the ice.
- 4 masala chai tea bags ( can use vanilla chai or mocha chai tea for variety)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce of your favorite liqueur
- Crushed ice
- Freshly ground nutmeg
In a large cup, carefully pour boiling water over the tea bags. Let them steep in the water for five minutes before removing them. Squeeze out any excess tea before discarding. Refrigerate the tea for at least 30 minutes to cool well.
In a martini shaker, add a half a cup of chilled tea, vodka and the liqueur of your choice (almond, hazelnut, orange,or coconut flavors work well). Add crushed ice and shake well. Strain the liquid into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with grated nutmeg
Bollywood Buffet Ideas
Nothing says Bollywood like pakoras and samosas. You can purchase from the frozen food section of most supermarkets or your closest Indian grocery. If you want to make it super easy, consider doing take-out from a local Indian restaurant or commit to making one or two delicious dishes at home to share with friends.
What?! You said your friends like to cook?
Plan an easy recipe to do in the kitchen like this Cumin-Mint Raita Salad OR have friends bring their favorite Indian dish to your Super Bollywood Potluck.
You could also do a simple dip and side salad like this Cumin-Mint Raita, and just add a few Indian breads and crispy papadums. For other ideas, Shubhra Ramineni is a first-generation Indian-American whose no-fuss cooking style re-creates authentic Indian flavors using easy techniques and fresh and readily available ingredients. There are 95 easy recipes for busy people.
Cumin-Mint Raita Salad
This easy make ahead dish borrows from Indian raita, a cucumber and yogurt mixture designed to cut the heat from spicy foods. We add vegetables such as onion and radishes for a refreshing take on chopped salad. Visit https://www.myrecipes.com for more recipes like this one.
- Place slivered onion in a bowl. Add cold water to cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, lemon juice, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, and all but 2 tablespoons of
the mint. Add onion, radishes, and cucumber and mix gently to coat.
- Just before serving, stir salad again to combine.
Bollywood Theme Party Games
What’s a party without a variety of activities to get down and Bollywood-cultured!
- Did anyone say Indian beaded art? Stringing a beaded necklace, bejeweling flip-flops, or painting toenails with bold colors and adorning them with decorative nail art could be fun;
- If you need to move, we’ve got your link to Bollywood dancing. You can purchase our suggested instructional DVD (with Jaya Vaswani) or just download a Bollywood playlist to get your body moving.
- Use your big screen TV to play an instructional video or consider hiring a surprise instructor to help your guests become the next Bollywood dancing queens.
Henna and Bollywood Art
If you’d like to try a little henna painting, which involves tattoo and body art painting, you have to know that it’s intricate work but the art is full of all kinds of beautiful design options. Not sure it you have a steady hand and worried about how it will turn out? Here’s some good advice:
- Don’t try the henna painting near the end of the party, especially if you’ve had a few too many Chai Martinis; and,
- Purchase a Henna Kit (all natural paint that’s made from organic fruit or vegetable juices) and you can find stencils at a local craft store. See our link below to the: Organic Jagua Black Temporary Tattoo and Body Painting Premium Kit; and,
- Here is a giant link that shows all the various videos you can click on How to Make Your Own Henna Design.
Important disclaimer: Tattoos can last for up to a month so don’t place your tattoo in a place that might get tiresome. Remember Ed Helms “Hangover” tattoo, Vegas-style?
Both henna designs and Bollywood dancing are two different but important ways of storytelling in Indian culture. Every hand gesture in dance has a specific meaning while the various henna shapes and designs also convey certain meanings.
For instance, the significance of having a henna design on:
- Palm of the hand signifies an offering from you to the world
- Back of your hand symbolises protection; and,
- Feet are our only point of contact with earth, so whatever design you get should be aimed at strengthening the bond between your body and the earth.
Thanks for reading and if you have ideas you’d like to share or decide to throw a Bollywood party, we’d love to hear from you. Hope you Chai Chai Chai you’re way to a wonderful Bollywood-great weekend and don’t forget to sign up to receive our newsletter every Sunday.